Improve Construction Project Values
Community Association Facts 1
- 26 percent of the U.S. population—about 73.5 million, reside in about 347,000 community associations, also known as homeowner associations (HOAs).
- Up to 40 percent of HOAs are self-managed, only using professional assistance for specific project activity.
1 SOURCE: Community Associations Institute, (National Data, 2018)
Many community associations—condominiums, townhouses, and cooperatives—are big businesses. Managed by volunteer boards, Professional Community Association Management firms are typically hired to optimize services and oversee construction projects in the community.
When the projects are more complex, or when management team oversight time or expertise are limited, we help with …
- Project Investigation (fully defining the problem)
- Project Initiation (writing SOW and RFPs, assessing proposals)
- Project Performance (kickoff, inspections, closeout)
Our key goals are to:
- Keep Stakeholders Well-informed
- Generate Net Project Savings
- Optimize Project Service Life.
More Than Project “Coordination”
Complex Project Types
Association properties, management teams and projects are unique.
- Building systems can be interconnected.
- MANY projects are linked to preventing water intrusion or repairing water damage.
Building Envelope—including upper roofs, garage roofs, gutters and drainage systems, vertical walls, roof penetrations (roof access, elevator, dryer, fireplace and plumbing vents), vertical wall systems, tuckpointing, flashing, and door/window penetrations, etc.
Mechanical Systems—including common element boilers, chillers, water supply and distribution, electrical, and air handling systems, etc.
We improve project outcomes!
A long list of general maintenance and construction projects in community associations are routinely coordinated by the management team and successfully accomplished by trusted vendors.
Other projects are more complex and require more than project “coordination.”
They require proactive project management.
To optimize success in “complex projects,” we offer on-call, custom-tailored project management services in an ala carte menu.
Select only a few services needed or a more comprehensive set of project management services.
We “quarterback” a little or the total project.
Questions and Answers
When should we hire GAPWORX?
Here are the BIG THREE reasons—a blend of complexity, cost, expertise, and time.
- INVESTIGATION. An inadequately investigated project can start on questionable assumptions.
- DESCRIPTION. A loosely defined project might result in excessive costs or miss fixing key problem details.
- INSPECTION. An infrequently inspected project might leave the problem unresolved, with poor service life and more cost to the community.
How do you provide project management services?
A “no cost” exploratory meeting usually determines if and how we can bring value. We may suggest that further investigation is warranted. If hired, we support the management team’s efforts and coordinate with vendors and other professionals.
How do you charge?
Our fees are based upon an ala carte Menu of Services, customized to fit small and large projects. A Fixed Fee Proposal is provided if investigation services are needed and a second Fixed Fee Proposal if additional services are required. We keep it simple.
Calculate Project Cost Based Upon Service Life … Not Just First Cost
LIFE CYCLE COSTING LOWERS COMMUNITY COSTS
Improve Project Outcomes
Infrastructure “problems” need to be resolved.
We help get the “right solution” identified and accomplished.
We help prevent the way-too-soon “fix the fix” project.